Friday, October 26, 2012

Hmmmm

By: Tarin Glenn-Brown

I’m lying in a hammock with my eyes closed. I’m smiling. I can hear the sound of the waves breaking on the shore not too far away. I can almost feel it in my bones; the belly rumbling hush of the water rushing towards the beach...the momentum building as if it wanted to climb on top of the sand and keep going; instead...it hits the shore…breaks apart...and pulls away again. Kinda reminded me of the feeling I got when the plane made that final lunge into the air and soared. What a rush!!

I sigh and hug myself a little tighter; chilly. The hammock creaks. Inhaling slowly, I open my eyes to look up at the stars. I watch the clouds caress the moon and smile as it’s corners crease to form a beguiling smile. A cricket starts to sing nearby and the wind picks up its translucent skirts to dance amid the swaying fronds of palm and coconut trees. Its fingers gently tickle the plants around my haven and softly glides across my white cotton summer dress, leaving tiny ripples in its wake, all the while quietly whistling an age old song I hadn’t heard in years. And then...it all fades... becoming the muted whisper of a night slowly coming alive.

I inhale again; a new scent that makes me smile even more. The hammock creaks again; sinks lower. Delicious warmth against my back and then slowly it enfolds me. I turn...inhale again...smile...open my eyes...and lift my hand to slowly caress the face of my beloved.

No comments: